All about Labs!
Hmmm good to know stuff about Myself… LOL. Some fun facts about Labradors that even my Hooman did not know! Always fun to learn new things about my Lab peeps!
We all know that the Labrador Retriever is fun-loving, loyal, and full of energy, but what else do you think you may know about this breed that is loved by so many all over the world? Here’s our 8 fun facts you didn’t know about Labrador Retrievers:
1. The Labrador Retriever is America’s favorite pooch! Alright, so if you didn’t know this already, I’m sure you’re not surprised! They’ve topped the charts of the American Kennel Club’s “Most Popular Dog Breeds In America” list for 24 years in a row!
2. Black, chocolate, and yellow Labs can be in the same litter…They’re like a fine box of truffles (kidding). Coat color is a variable genetic trait, much like how kids born to the same parents can have different colored hair! Talk about a stellar variety-pack.
3. However, different colors can be preferable for different uses. For instance: black labs tend to be the most successful competitors, and are the most common in the Lab family. Yellow Labs are preferred as police dogs. Chocolate Labs are the rarest of the three, so if you want a diamond in the rough, opt for this pretty coat.
4. Labs are from Newfoundland–not Labrador. In fact, they were bred as a smaller version of the Newfie in the early 1800’s. Fisherman needed a dog who could retrieve fishnets and fish that sprang loose from their hooks. The dogs needed to be natural swimmers with stamina, as well as strong back legs for catapulting themselves into the water. The name “Newfoundland” was already taken, so the breed was named for the body of water in which they worked: the Labrador Sea.5. And they were specifically bred to have these five distinct traits:
- An “otter-like” tail for propelling through water
- Webbed paws are like flippers for swimming
- A layered, oily coat to keep them insulated and repel water
- A “soft mouth” to gently carry things (with training) without causing damage
- A great capacity to learn
Which leads us to the next point…
6. Most guide dogs are Labrador Retrievers. In fact, over 70% of dogs used by Guide Dogs of America are labs. The site states, “…we have found them to be the most successful breed used for guide dogs.” If that’s not a good enough reason to adopt one of these lovable pups, I don’t know what is!
7. But there are a few things to keep in mind before adopting a lab:
- They are some of the “mouthiest” puppies, meaning that they explore and play with their mouths…and those sharp little teeth! (Fingers, beware…)
- They are high-energy, so they need to be exercised and have plenty of space to run!
- They are generally a healthy breed, but are prone to hip, elbow, and joint issues, as well as some eye issues that can cause blindspots
8. But overall, they make amazing family companions.
(Recall point number one!) The fun-loving, loyal Labrador Retriever is a mild-tempered family dog with an outgoing personality that makes them great companions to both human and pup pals, alike. They do well in almost any climate and are easy to train, wanting nothing more than to make their owners happy.
If you can work with a nippy puppy, have some patience to train, and take a little time every day to exercise your pooch, a Lab could be the perfect addition to your family; and in return, your dog will reward you for all your time and energy, tenfold!
5 Do it yourself tasks that save on Vet bills!
My Hooman was reading this article on Dr Beckers Site as she always find such great info and this is one that was too good not to share! There are [...]
5 Ways to help your Dog overcome his fears
OK I confess I have a couple phobias but thankfully not too many ~ The 2 that I have is Thunder and when my Daddy yells at the TV during Football Season…. If you have any [...]
9 Things Dog Owners Have Learned To Accept!
THIS PIC IS #6 on the list below.. LOL hehe My Hooman Loves me to the moon and back there is no doubt and according to the list below she pretty much can relate [...]
7 Tips to Exercising with your Pupper!
Well its the New Year and we all need to get back in the exercise saddle! Mom found this great article as to ways we can exercise together! WOHOO [...]
4 Ways to Get your furry friends through winter!! Brrrrrr
Baby its cold outside and when it is don't forget the Puppers get cold too! Here are some great tips for keeping your 4 legged friend safe in the winter weather!! Thanks Modern Dog for sharing this with your peeps! The pet welfare experts at the Ontario SPCA share their top four tips for [...]
Food Allergies in Dogs AKA Puppers
We loved this article from Modern Dog and thought is was so important to share! I have allergies that is for sure and my Momma is still [...]
7 Reasons Dogs Are Great For Your Health
My Hooman came across this article touting the top reasons that us Puppers are great for their health and well after reading it she couldn't agree more! I have added so much to my Mommas life [...]
5 Weird Dog Behaviours Explained
My Hooman got a kick out of this and had one of those AHHH HA moments as if one of life's great mysteries was solved when she read this article from Modern Dog Magazine! Finally some of my very strange behaviors explained! LOL ~ Humping, poop eating, reverse sneezing, tail chasing, rolling in [...]
The benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar for dogs!
So I have this problem called allergies and as you can see by the picture above it really effects my PAWS. We are 100% sure what I am allergic too but what we do know is that I chew on my paws like a man eating chicken wings durning a football game.. LOL [...]